Wednesday 23 April 2014

Anniversaries, and more Nikos Kavvadias.


 

Today is the birthday of the interesting Max Planck, and the nauseating Shirley Temple. It is also the death day of Shakespeare.

Yesterday I posted here the first page or two of Kavvadias’s piece ‘A Helmsman’s Journal’. Here is the next page or two:

I’m sleepy, so sleepy. The clock says two in the morning. Time for my watchmate to take over the wheel, and me to stand where he was. I’ll stand up for two hours more, and I’ll try to sleep. I’ve never tried anything worse than sleeping standing up. Your eyes close without your knowing it and suddenly you collapse. Then you have to grab something so as not to fall down. Then when you’ve got your balance, your eyes close again and you fall over again.

The other helmsman, just as sleepy as I am, isn’t the same as me because he’s expecting something, hoping for something. A letter from home. Me, I’ve got no expectations… for me such joys don’t exist. He’s waiting to get somewhere; when he goes ashore he’ll enjoy himself and forget tonight’s miseries. I never go ashore in the harbours. It’s months since I went ashore… at one time I used to wait anxiously to reach harbour. I’d watch the compass and think of beautiful women, adventures in the dark streets of unknown cities, and it would ease the pain… I used to play cards. In Madeira one night I won a lot, and it’s still in my kit-bag. I’ve lost all feeling for the value of money. There’s nothing I need to buy, and I don’t know anyone who needs it I could send it to…

Money! Once, when I was stuck without a ship in a London thick with fog, I went an age without seeing the colour of a shilling. I’d spend all day in the public parks, and in the evenings I’d eat in the boarding house where I was going to pay when I got a ship. Twenty or so of us ate in this long narrow dining-room. There was an Indian sailor sitting near me who was so hungry he’d forgotten his religious rules, and on my other side there was a black stoker who made a noise like bare feet on a wet pavement when he ate. I’ve never come across a man so serene. As soon as he’d finished eating he’d stuff his nostrils with a mixture of tobacco and some strange powder and go to sleep, making a noise like a train pulling in. Much later I heard they’d sent him to New Guinea on a convict transport, because one night in the West End he’d strangled a little girl just to get the packet of food she was carrying.

…………………………

I’ve known a lot of strange people. The strangest was one I saw on a Dutch freighter. He was a Japanese stoker. When he was off duty he’d lie down on his stomach, naked from the waist up, reading a book full of strange characters. His back was all decorated with birds and trees like a Japanese shawl. The sailors would sit round him playing on his back with a dirty old pack of cards. He wouldn’t say a word, but whenever the game got heated and they’d slam the cards down hard, he’d shake his shoulders and the players would calmly carry on playing without a word.

…………………………

I remember a friend from when I was a student. He wasn’t a sailor. He looked like a Syrian king and as he wasn’t much older than me I looked up to him as someone better; superhuman. His eyes were always laughing and he’d talk in a way I’ve never heard anyone else speak. When he’d stop I could never remember anything he’d said, I’d just be drugged with the spell of a strange dream, like someone who’s coming down from smoking opium.

‘Opium!’ I said. I’ve smoked it myself. I think I saw some beautiful dreams. I don’t remember much, just a fine white horse galloping over the waves, with me riding…

…………………………

Once in Haiphong I saw barefoot Chinese captains in little silk robes smoking enormous pipes. They’d sit beside their weird reed-sailed boats waiting for cargoes for the Pacific Islands. I heard they always sailed without a compass, their only guide the currents that changed direction with the seasons. They say they charm away the typhoons with pentacles, and make voyages months long. When dawn comes they often find themselves at unknown islands, shining in the tropical sun, and hear, without seeing anything, songs in strange tongues.

…………………………

For some time now I’ve been troubled by a weird day-dream… to set off alone in a little Chinese boat, a boat with no compass, no rudder, and either disappear in some steaming maelstrom or find myself, dawn breaking, years later, on some island shining like a diamond under the burning sun, and stay there for ever, surrounded by naked women who’d never set eyes on any man but me. To lie down at night on the corals and the shells, to hear invisible ukuleles, and see the stars, always the same in all the skies.

…………………………

The ship's bell’s striking for the change of watch. And now I’m not at all tired…

Translation © Simon Darragh, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment