Friday 6 June 2014

Brownie Points

Possibly even the odd free drink. The astute reader (yes, that's you) will have worked out by now that the small Greek island in which I spend much of my time is Alonnisos in the Northern Sporades, near Skopelos and Skiathos. As the season is just starting, I thought I'd draw people's attention to a few of the island's businesses, mostly the ones here in the Old Village. More later, when people get round to giving me their cards.
 
There is also of course 'Aerides' bar in the main square of the Old Village; an establishment so well-known, and yet at the same time so select, that its proprietors Maria and Ianni feel no need for the vulgarity of business cards: refined people will find it by instinct.
-----~-----
 
I have not forgotten that today is the 70th anniversary of D-Day; please see my posts of the last couple of days.
Exactly a hundred years earlier, that's to say on the 6th of June 1844, the first YMCA opened, in London. Ironically, at least in view of the later reputation of the New York one, the intention of the founder was to provide sin-free accommodation for young working men. Actually it has, mostly, succeeded in this: it didn't even come to the attention of that malicious madwoman Margaret Thatcher when she got so excited about the 'Active promotion of homosexuality.' And if some tenants are sometimes naughty, well, boys will be boys. I stayed in one many years ago and no-one even groped me, dammit.



No comments:

Post a Comment