Thursday 28 August 2014

Greetings from Yunanistan



Readership of the blog suddenly octupled yesterday. It can’t really be because I’ve taken to putting the odd picture in? You can’t really all be so infantile that you’ll only look at things with pictures in them?

No of course not. My readers are intelligent, discerning people. Perhaps my recent posts have been even more clever and witty than usual? Surely a near impossibility.

But I am being like those people who gaze at envelopes during breakfast saying ‘Now I wonder who this can be from?’ not noticing that their breakfast-companion is gritting his teeth and clenching his fists to stop himself throwing his cornflakes at her while shouting ‘Well open it and see, you silly cow!’ There is a thingy (technical term) on the blog that enables me (and only me) to see not just how many readers I’m getting, but also where they are. (Don’t worry; it only tells me what countries they’re in, not who they are.)(In fact, come to think of it, it only tells me in what countries they have set up their computers to seem to be in, but most people aren’t that devious yet, though the intrusive behaviour of Google, Microsoft et al will soon drive them there.)

Where was I? Oh, yes. On checking I found a sudden surge of readers in Turkey. Greetings to you all. If Turkish readership continues, I shall write here about my two or three trips to Turkey, which took place before many package-holiday companies had ‘Discovered’ the country. I went in fact as companion to an oriental rug-dealer, and we visited some very strange places and met some very strange people.

Another day, perhaps.

Since pictures are now compulsory here is one that might seem totally irrelevant,
but it was in fact taken in Turkey.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment