Tuesday 28 January 2014

Today, a Greek Lesson. (Or an English Lesson for Greeks.)

In fact I did this for a Greek waitress who needed to explain things to Anglophones.

Where is the toilet?
Round the corner.
Θα σας το φέρω.
I will bring it to you.
Έχετε ψιλά;
Do you have change?
Τόστ
Τoasted sandwich.
Σπιτικό
Home-made.
Θέλει λίγα λεπτά
It will take a few minutes.
Δεν μας παρατάς;
Why don’t you leave us alone?
What is Tsipouro?
It is like ouzo, only even stronger.
My dog’s got no nose
How does he smell?
Very bad.
(Χά-χά)
Καρυδόπιτα
Walnut cake. (Not walnut pie.)
Το φτιάχνει η Μαμά μου
My mother makes it.
Είναι κερασμένο (απώ το μαγαζί)
It’s on the House.
Είναι κερασμένο (απώ κάπιον δικό του)
Your friend paid (already).
Τι είδος καφέ; (Μπύρα κλπ.)
What kind of coffee? (Beer etc.)
Δεν δίνω δίφρανκο
I don’t give a damn.
‘Cooked Breakfast’ και ‘English Breakfast’
Θα πει: αυγά, μπέικον, λουκάνικο, τα πάντα. (Που φυσικά δεν θα βρούνε πουθενά.)
‘What does Αέριδες mean?’
Breezes (Μπρίζις).
Θα προχωρήσετε ευθεία κάτω
You go straight down. (Downhill.)
Να σας κεράσω κάτι; Τι θα πίνετε;
Can I offer you something (on the house)? What would you like to drink?
Γλυκό του κουταλιού. Έιναι φτιαγμένο από φρούτο
A sticky sweet. It’s made from fruit.
Σπιτικό γλυκό
Home-made sweet.
Πρέπει να το κρατήσω ακίνητο
I have to keep it still. (Τι;)
Καπνιστός τόνο, φτιαγμένος στην Αλόννησο
Smoked tuna, made in Alonnisos.
Λυπάμαι αλλά δεν έχω. Έχει ήδη τελειώσει
Sorry but we don’t have any – it’s all gone.
Παρακαλώ, τι θα θέλετε;
Yes please, what would you like?
Βυσσινάδα (σπιτική) με ολόκληρα βύσσινα
Home-made cherryade with whole cherries.
Δεν έχω πολύ μυαλό, έιμαι ταπεινή σερβιτόρα
I’m not very clever, I’m just a humble waitress.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment