Thursday 12 May 2011

Experiment in pdf

I have posted in the 'help forum' an idea which should enable people to copy pdf files into their blog. I shall now try and see whether my own idea works; what follows should be (pretty much) the original, and my translation of, a poem by the Greek poet Yannis Varveris, which I had only in pdf.:

Yannis Varveris

OI EPARKEIS ANAGNWSTES
Ebgala evna biblivo
kai to xevrw apevxw.
Esuv livga diabavzeiV
ligovtera katalabaivneiV.
Giv autov ki egwv to diabavzw ap thn archv
me ta dikav sou mualav.
«Wraivo biblivo» levw
«ki aV mhn to polukatalabaivnw
telikav kalav kavnw
kai ton agapw».

Complementary Readers
I published a book
and I know it by heart.
You read little
understand less.
So I read it right from the start
using your brains.
‘Nice book,’ I say;
‘Never mind if I don’t understand:
really, I’m right
to love him so much.’


Hmm. Yes. As I feared, the Greek has come out a touch garbled. A space has been inserted after every accented character; probably because the original font used had automatic back-spacing accents. However, for most purposes it should work. Anyone interested will find my explanation somewhere in the help forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment