Sunday 27 July 2014

High Summer, High Jinks


 
There is a persistent belief among foreigners here in this little Aegean village that if there’s anything you can’t or won’t do, Simon will do it for you. Most of the time I don’t mind, indeed if it’s something like mending a motorbike or a violin I enjoy it, provided people keep to a few simple rules. (If I’m listening to or playing music, I’m not ‘Not doing anything’, and no callers before 11 a.m.) But at this time of year it can get a bit much and I’m trying to learn to say ‘No’ (I’ve always found it difficult) to the more boring people with the more boring demands.

A jollier reason for my not having had time to write in the blog is that I’m involved one way or another in the two events whose posters appear below:
 

 

Fortunately or unfortunately the tastefully designed poster in subtle pastel shades for ‘Alonissos has got talent’ doesn’t tell us what sort of talents will be on display, so I should tell you that a likely high point will be Phillipa’s ‘Lysistrata for Beginners’: a hilarious five-minute version of Aristophanes’ classic celebration of the power of united women. An absolutely certain low point will be the audience sing-along to Cliff Richards’s ‘We’re all going on a summer holiday’. (See what I mean about learning to say ‘No’)?

Higher culture comes to Alonnisos a couple of days later at the bookshop. If you know who Cavafy was you will want to be there, and if you don’t this is your chance to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment